Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dad, what's that smell?

There is a back story to this one so brace yourselves...
About a month ago I took the kids and one of their buddies out picking up aluminum cans from beside the road. They found a giant beer can that had a mouse in the bottom of it. We discussed that it was hiding in there and when it got dark it would come out and move on with it's life. Breanna was certain that it had gotten in there when it was little and now it couldn't get out. I reassured her that this was NOT the case, it would be fine, it was just scared to death of 5 little kids staring in the hole at it. We continued on with our adventure and eventually made it back to the car. I asked the kids as we were buckling up if they had left the mouse with the hole down so it could get out and they reassured me that they had. We came into town and went to the video rental store down the road to pick some movies. All the kids came in to voice their opinion over what we watched. Pretty soon Dylan slinks out the door to the car and then comes running back in and whispers to the rest of the kids, they all go out in the parking lot....by this time I'm getting pretty curious...Breanna comes running back in the store yelling "MOM! The mouse is loose in the car!" My response "The mouse that we left 20 miles back, beside the road, in the can?" I paid for our movies and go outside and the boys have the car completely torn apart looking for this mouse....Every seat they could fold up, was, booster seats thrown out in the parking lot....comical if you're not mad, not so much when you're a little bit upset with them....Needless to say they couldn't find the mouse. We finally got the car put back together enough to drive home. We put all 6 of our heads together and decide that we'll leave the car doors open for a few nights and it will get out when it gets hungry and go look for food. We do this for a few nights and there are no further signs of the mouse (We think) so we decide all is good. We let Dan in on the story when he got home from work, 2 weeks after this had taken place, when we're getting ready to drive 800+ miles....We think we're safe by now, hoping there's not a dead mouse in the car to stink us out while we're traveling. We had discussed many times how bad a dead mouse would stink in the car... Denim, being the comedian that he is, repeatedly asks his dad as we're driving, "Dad, what's that smell?" Dan responds, "What do you smell Denim, is it the feed lots we're passing?" or something similar..and Denim says "I think it's a dead mouse." He thinks he's so funny by now. We took the car to Utah and back and all seemed to be well until I pull out my pink hoodie to wear it and there are big holes in the front of it....Then as we're cleaning out the trash from the car, there's mouse dropping in a cup I had used the day before. Bad news. Now we know that there is a happy, fat, well fed from kid snacks in the car, has a nice soft pink nest somewhere in my car, mouse living in my 2008 Suburban. I have resorted to traps and glue boards and to this point am having no luck. We may have to eventually take Dan's advice and just trade the car in, let someone else wonder...."Dad, what's that smell?"
My kids seem to do the craziest things but thank goodness I get to be along for the ride when they do it :o)

1 comment:

Laura said...

That is SO funny! We had a mouse in our mule (silver van) and it freaked me out everyday when I got in. I just didn't want to see it! You know, you could put some mouse poison in the burban and then open the doors, it will get out, hopefully, before it dies! Good luck with that :c)